Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Trying something new is fun!

I had a series of cards to make for my Mom, these cards were to be given to some people who spend their lives serving orphans in other countries...selfless work, right? Making a card for them was the least I could do! She came up with the sentiment, which I hammered out on my typewriter, and then I was free to create the cards.

This card is my favorite one I've ever made (for right now anyways). I love the simplicity and sweetness of it. I also tried something new, which was to paint the polka dot paper with gesso with a dry brush. The paper was lovely, but the polka dot pink color was just a bit too bright for me. I love the way the gesso toned it down. I also flicked a few spots of gesso on with what was left on the brush, mostly to experiment and see what kind of texture it would give-it made hard little bumps. Good to know for next time in case I want to do some bigger glops for a messier look.




I also used some American Crafts silver glitter tape, I had gotten this a few months back but hadn't used it yet...it's awesome. It's backed with adhesive, so you cut your piece, peel the sticky off the back, and you're ready to go! I bought mine from Studio Calico with some other things, but I see that the big box stores now carry their own version in a variety of colors, I may have to pick up a few basic colors when they go on sale. Michaels had a gorgeous ice blue! I don't do a ton of glitter...but these make it easy to just add a little bit to a project, mess free. I like mess free.

The inside features some Tim Holtz tissue tape, I have used this roll on soooooooo much stuff, and still have about a third of it to go. It's the tape that keeps on giving. It doesn't have very good sticky on it, so I always put a little Scotch quick dry down underneath it. The pink striped paper is the scrap left from using the punch scallop on the front, and the hearts were all punched from scraps. Sorry the photo is blurry, it was taken with a dying camera battery and with 2 minutes to spare before I had to run these to the post office. Whew, got them out in time though. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I would love to hear about any new (to you) techniques you've tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment